Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Bon Appetite at Bon Gout Cafe

Hungry.

Both of us were starved and indecisive. With each meal being a whole new experience, we always try to go to somewhere memorable, rather than just another old coffee shop. I wouldn't consider myself a diehard foodie, but I do love eating. :)

Japanese has got to win hands down as my fave grub and with Singapore offering so many different types of Japanese cuisine, I guess I can say i'm in Heaven. We went to a dive shop sale (Great Scuba Sale) at Riverwalk, Circular Road, but I'll get into the whole diving she-bang later on. For now, let's have a quickie about the delish grub I put away last night.


V. brought me to Bon Gout Cafe (pronounced Bon Goo) at 60 Robertson Quay, The Quayside, last night as we both had a craving for meat, served non-Western style. Japanese and Korean BBQ seemed a little too heavy at 9pm for dinner, and she recommended the bookstore cum cafe for its great prices, delectable dishes and peaceful ambience. I was not going to be disappointed.

Understated and clean, Bon Gout had every table in the tiny place occupied. Us being the only non-Japanese in there! A little old Japanese lady brought us our menu, and took our order. We ordered a Wasabi Mayo Deep Fried Chicken to share and ooh la la, this was the first time I think I've ever had Wasabi Mayo with a punch! I decided to load on the calories with a Pork Cutlet and Bon Gout Beef Curry with Rice, while V had a stir-fried pork with Miso and Eggplant.

Hmm, kinda wish I had chosen the stir-fried pork because the Eggplant was cooked to perfection. Juicy and tender, it wasn't overcooked and soggy. And the miso flavouring sat very well with the finely sliced lean pork. Yummz..... Definitely would go back to this quaint joint, and perhaps I might bring myself a magazine or two to keep myself occupied while I soak in the delightful atmosphere.

In my one year back, I've found it hard to find a dining place that doesn't have droves of crowds to put me off. I loathe crowds and one thing I miss about Melbourne was the emptiness of it at times. How I could take a morning off at a cafe at Clarendon Street, or perhaps at the nearby Peko Peko Cafe that was my humble workplace for 2years or so. Finding good coffee in Melbourne was never hard and around every street corner would be a friendly face and a big smile.

Egads. Didn't expect this post to get me homesick.

And yes, it is Home to me.

BlogCounter.com - Free counter for Weblogs

No comments: