Search This Blog

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Holding hands: Girls + Girls


Girl talk
*warning: this is not a travel piece*


I spent my Saturday watching multiple seasons of L-word at my gf's house and although many "real" lesbians say that the show is not representative of the female gay community, I must admit that the writers of the show have cleverly scripted in issues faced by many - gay or straight. Of course, in a country like this where media laws remain strict and rigid, the average Joe (or Ah Seng, which might be what we can label heartlanders, no offence) will never be exposed to such portrayals of women on screen. Granted, scenes in this TV drama may prove too racy for many, but shouldn't there even be a choice in what people can buy off the shelves in the DVD store? Are people simply sheep that have to be led in their direction of thought? Whatever happened to personal choice? What happened to free will?


I've never seen myself as an activist of any sort. I just have an opinion, and most of the time, I stick to it. Me being stubborn as a mule. I am also resistant to other's opinions - this a fault I am still learning to overcome. A wise person gave me a tip for life the other day, and that is to always retain my childlike curiosity, and the willingness to learn and discover. Funny how in this country, we are encouraged to push boundaries of thought. Funny how the schools always stress for us to "think outside the box".

But is radical thinking really accepted in Singapore? Sadly, the answer is no.


A short while following my return to Singapore from liberal Australia, I witnessed the controversy surrounding Section 377A of the Penal Code, and the heated debate on whether a repeal was
needed. How the gay life was portrayed in the media was shocking and biased. One sided and sounding overly Christian, the articles chose to explore the "dark" realms of homosexuality, and when there were opinions that sought to open one's mind to consider another kind of life, it was usually reserved for the back pages, or a much shorter prose. It saddened me that even those I love very much remain closed to the idea of an alternative life. It saddened me that they used Religion (Christianity, in particular) as a basis of argument. In one episode of L-Word, a hetero White male criticized homosexuality and said if his kids admitted to being gay, he would be terribly distraught. In response, Bette (a key strong figure in the series) questions a world of people who criticize a life they do not know, not because they care about the happiness about their children, but because they feel this Life is something that disagrees with their own belief. This was a powerful moment, and I understood where she was coming from fully. Question: Is it wrong to pose judgement on another simply because their lifestyle makes you feel uncomfortable? Is it wrong to want your own peace of mind more than another's happiness?

We aren't talking about crimes like paedophilia, or fetishes such as beastiality or SM. We're talking about a consentual act committed between two people. They may argue that the homo's life revolves around a more "free" and "loose" sex life, but I can also argue that a hetero's life doesn't seem to be much better. Straight people are just as into pre-marital sex and many being Christians even.

Is this a case of the pot calling the kettle black?

And so, in Sunny Sing, the massive contradiction lies in the way the leaders are trying to lead its people. We've always strived to be the best, our Kiasuism means that we cannot lose, we must always win. But we've already lost the race. MM Lee recently said in an interview that it wouldn't be in HIS lifetime that he would see Singapore transform into a gracious society. And though I agree, I also think that there are fundamental problems with our society. Problems that prevent us from growing and developing into a country with first world thinking.


I'm not into politics, never have been, never will be. But I am into equality. And I do want to live in a world made for equals. Some may laugh at my naive thinking. Simplistic it is, and overly idealistic. I never said I wasn't a dreamer. I wish I could do more. I wish Singapore became an accepting community. And then it can grow. It will develop. This country will not only be number one in terms of the country's reserves, but also number one in human rights beliefs. We are separated and segregated. If we aren't distinguished by our race, we are defined by our meritocracy. Our sexual orientation also sets us apart from each other. And as if this last one isn't the most obvious - into the Elite, and simply, Everybody else.

I digress. The main focus of this post was inspired by the issues covered in the L-Word. Those with a credit card and an Amazon account should seriously consider picking up a copy. Highly attractive androgynous Shane oozes sex appeal from each pore on her body and makes the show an entertaining watch. Apart from covering really in depth topics relating to lesbians, the show gets a thumbs up from me for having women take the seat and be The Focus for the series. I'm not talking some Desparate Housewives or Sex in the City fluffy fun (don't get me wrong, i LOVE SATC) as the L-Word is a gritty movie full of swear words and romps aplenty. For those that wish to see even more issues faced by gay people, Will & Grace is a lighthearted sitcom set in where else but the city that never sleeps - New York. A hilarious cast that will not fail to entertain, WIll & Grace also touches on serious issues beneath all that gay time (ouch, excuse the pun!).

2007 has opened up many doors, and I was shocked to see such a sensitive topic broached in the mainstream newspapers. Although biased and unreflective of reality, any coverage is better than no coverage. I have faith, in our country and its people. And I hope that in time, we will learn to grow. To grow with each other, to learn tolerance and acceptance. And most importantly, for each and every person to fly free and live their Dream.

Free Blog Counter

No comments: