Search This Blog

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Grandma's Egg Dish


GeoTagged, [S37.83096, W144.96906]

Today is singapore's curry day- due to a recent highlighting of a curry saga between a mainland Chinese family v a Singaporean Indian family, everyone is up and arms with the peaceful Facebook led Cook a pot of curry protest.

I'm not a bad Singaporean, not in my own opinion. While I love curry (all sorts mind you) i cooked a spicy pot of dry beef curry (nonya influence.) on Thursday and I am curried out. It did leave my kitchen smelling beautifully of curry,spices and coconut milk. Not an aroma you want around everyday.

So today I'm making my grandma's egg dish that was a treat to us when we were little. Its a simple steamed egg and mince dish, that was so tasty that it can be eaten on it's own. No sauce soups or gravies needed. Yes, that delicious.

This is my own little recipe that I adapted from grandma's. I added a little extra for that personal touch, and it is tasting super. :)

Ingredients:
Mince pork - the amount depends on how many other dishes u serve. I used about 300g
Prawn meat (raw) - I had about 100g which I minced finely with a knife. Can also substitute with raw crab meat,shredded
Soy - light
Shao Xiang rice wine - a dash
Sesame oil - to your liking
Egg - enough to cover the prawn mince mixture
Spring onions - finely chopped
Pepper and five spice powder

Steps:
Mix the prawn and pork mince together well.
Add a good dash of light soy and sesame oil, a teaspoon of rice wine and mix
Season with five spice and pepper
Add the beaten eggs
Add chopped spring onions and mix well
Put into a heat resistant bowl and pop over a steamer
While this is steaming, do other things like prep veg, cook rice
You'll know when it is done when you poke a hole in the set egg mixture and it runs clear.
VoilĂ !

Serve with hot steamed Jasmine rice, veggies. And makan!!!

I find that this recipe is so simple but so gratifying. The flavours take me back to a time when i hadn't a worry in the world, and after lunch granny would bring me out to the playground.

So yes, while it's not my mom's famous curry recipe that I should be posting today, I'm still cooking up a delicious Singaporean dish! Bon appetit!

No comments: